Re: W3C decentralized stack?

I tend to divide "decentralized web" folks into two distinct camps:

1. Folks who think the Web was never sufficiently decentralized.
Basically, the DNS has always been a vulnerability which bothers them.
They need to grapple with Zooko's triangle, and usually have some
crypto-heavy solution. This is all at or below http. I think DIDs would
be the first thing W3C has done in this space.

2. Folks who think the Web itself is decentralized, but applications are
increasingly not.  "REdecentralize the web" gets at this.  Here we need
to grapple with the fact that it's much easier and more financially
rewarding to build multi-user (social) systems as a silo.  This is all
above http.  This is what TimBL and I were aiming at with Crosscloud,
and the W3C tackled with the Social Web Protocols.

     -- Sandro (former W3C Decentralization Lead, but then the money ran
out)