Re: Seeking LDP server recommendations

On 2018-03-17 09:09, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A team I'm working with are looking to do explore some designs using LDP
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/) - as part of this, we're looking to stand up
> an off-the-shelf LDP server for our tests.
>
> We've looked at a few of the options mentioned at
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/LDP_Implementations, but so far the ones we've
> tried have been less than fully satisfactory:
>
> - Apache Marmotta - project appears to be dead (not updated since 2014?)
> - ldnode - didn't get running, possibly becauxe of complex node
> dependencies
> - gold - this is what we're using for now, as it was easy enough to get
> running.  But it's prone to unexpected failures without any diagnostics
> (e.g. fails silently when loading Turtle data with comments; returns
> garbage data).  It is also a Solid container, there is ACL configuration
> that complicates the setup if not run in debug mode.
>
> What we're looking for is an LDP server that:
>
> 1. supports Basic LDP containers (direct/indirect not needed)
> 2. is easy to install (on a Linux host server) (*)
> 3. is easy to configure (*)
> 4. is reasonably reliable and maintained
>
> (*) these might amount to simply having reliable "getting started"
> documentation
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> #g

Hi Graham, for whatever it is worth:

I've built mayktso (pronounced "make it so"):

https://github.com/csarven/mayktso/

initially for the LDN test suite (sender, receiver, consumer). Then
extended to do more of LDP. I haven't run it through the LDP test suite
but it probably covers the essentials as far as I can see.

The current development is based around experimenting with LD related
functionality for dokieli:

https://dokie.li/

and pretty much the minimal that I expect from a LD/Web server nowadays.

It understands bits of ActivityPub (Outbox) and Web Annotation Protocol.
An extremely basic shape checking towards:

https://linkedresearch.org/cloud

I use it to offer a public endpoint for oa:annotationService for people
to test dokieli annotations who don't have their own pim:storage.

It currently doesn't do authentication/authorization but it can be
added. I didn't want to invest time into that because I wasn't planning
to turn into a project. Check out other projects like node-solid-server
or Virtuoso Universal Server if you want proper/planned coverage of that.

mayktso isn't built or maintained for other people to use necessarily,
but you're welcome to try it out. It can be extendable if you need other
things. Contributions welcome. I hack at it to quickly get what I need
to move dokieli forward.

There is quite a bit of overlap with the dokieli core code - initially
borrowed code from dokieli - so one of my todos is to realign them.
dokieli is modularised so, mayktso will probably follow along. I've
plans to implement the Fedora spec probably in the summer, so I can
check it against dokieli.

See also:

https://linkedresearch.org/ldn/tests/summary#ldn-report-receiver

for other LDN Receiver implementations which also do LDP.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i