Re: Blank nodes as predicates Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

> On 23 Nov 2018, at 16:03, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>

>> On 23 Nov 2018, at 12:40, Ross Horne <ross.horne@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Henry,
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 08:59, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> The interesting thing seems to be that when one does that, if one takes blank nodes to be
>> existential quantifiers, as I think we all do, then blank nodes fall out automatically in
>> predicate position too.
>>
>> Surely the language that falls out of RDF by adding existential quantifiers in predicate position is a fragment of SPARQL ASK (before adding disjunction and equality).
>>
>> E.g.: The following is a fine SPARQL Query (is :a related to :b and :c in the same way):
>> ASK { :a ?x :b .
>>          :a ?x :c }
>
> That is a question whereas a graph is a statement. Given the answer True to that question
> you can complete your ASK query to generate the minimal graph - with a bnode in predicate
> position - to make the statement that fulfills the query. That graph would be
>
>   :a _:rel :b.  :a _:rel :c.
>
> This is because truth is disquotational. "Snow is white" is true iff Snow is white, is a
> well known statement on which deflationary theories of truth have been build.
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth-deflationary/ <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth-deflationary/> In N3 one can write the rule
>
> { { ?a ?r ?b } a log:Truth } log:implies { ?a ?r ?b}
>
> So your ASK sentence goes beyond the IT signature morphism mentioned in
>   https://www.iep.utm.edu/insti-th/#SH3c <https://www.iep.utm.edu/insti-th/#SH3c>
> that I have adapted to ground rdf graphs because it is
>  1) dialogic
>  2) it has a relation on graphs (the relation  ?g a log:Truth)
>
> The signature morphism in IT that maps RDF ground graphs to RDF with existential
> quantifiers is a very simple one Σ → Σ+X . I am happy to take that part out to my thesis
> and go over this in more detail to show how it works. Perhaps I can turn it into a peer
> reviewed paper? (I am thinking that cutting my thesis up into shorter papers may be a
> better strategy as it will be easier to find reviewers for parts of the thesis than for
> the whole one).

On the other hand I am now reading "Socratic Epistemology - Explorations of Knowledge Seeking
by questioning" by Jaakko Hintikka, and he seems to there put questions first. Hintikka was the
founder of epistemic logic, and in this book he proposes a second generation epistemic logic
based on discoveries in game theory semantics. On that point of view, questions and information
come first.... So you may be onto something too...

 I think in this view a proposition is a question, namely: is it true?

I am not quite clear where this is going, but it seems like it could be very useful for thinking about
the semantic web too...

Anyone else read these later writings by Hintitkka?