Re: RDF based messaging, negotiating, and dataset semantics

On 10/07/2017 09:24, Florian Kleedorfer wrote:
> If it was a problem, it seems to me, RDF databases were wrong to support SPARQL
> Update, because it allows changes to RDF graphs - but I never read anywhere that
> that is problematic.

SPARQL Update allows updates to RDF graph containers, not to RDF graphs.  So no
problem there (apart, maybe, from some unclear or muddled use of terminology).

I just checked the SPARQL Update spec [1], and I'd concede the language could be
clearer...

"A Graph Store is a mutable container of RDF graphs..." is clear enough.

But a following sentence says "Operations may specify graphs to be modified...",
which is less clear.  Read in conunction with the definition of graph in RDF
Concepts [2], it becomes fairly clear that it's not the graph that is modified
but the container.  Maybe better to have said somethinglike "Operations may
specify a graph within the container to be updated..."?

#g
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-sparql11-update-20130321/#graphStore

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-rdf-graph