Re: The use of https: IRIs on the semantic web

From: Ruben Verborgh <Ruben.Verborgh@UGent.be>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 01:37:42 +0000
To: Richard Smith <richard@ex-parrot.com>
CC: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi Richard,

> I am defining a new vocabulary.  It's not an extension of an existing vocabulary, nor will it use the same domain as any existing vocabulary.  Should I use https: IRIs?

I'm recommending anyone publishing a new Linked Data dataset nowadays to do this on HTTPS,
and we are doing this ourselves as well. Minting a new http:// URL space is just not meaningful anymore.

The reasons for this are:
1) There's a tremendous push from different organizations toward HTTPS.
    At the moment, browsers HTTPS label as "secure", but in the future,
    but we can expect them to instead label HTTP as "insecure" [1].
2) There's no standardized correspondence
     between an HTTP URL and its HTTPS equivalent.
3) Changing URLs afterwards is a no-go for several reasons.

> Every source I've consulted says I should prefer http: IRIs. This includes the Linked Data book [1], the W3 note on "Cool URIs" [2], and the W3 note on best practices for RDF vocabularies.

I couldn't find the passage in the Linked Data book.
I guess Section 4.4.1 could be interpreted as such;
however, it does not talk about https:// explicitly.

The W3C notes similarly do not talk about HTTPS.

Best,

Ruben

[1] https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/moving-towards-more-secure-web.html