Re: Best practices for versioning and documenting ontologies for Sem Web

One option more among other tools/frameworks for ontology development
using version control systems such as Git is VoCol:

- Works on top of Git and with repository hosting services like GitHub,
Gitlab and BitBucket;
- It should be installed only once to some hosting server and the whole
team will benefit from its services;
- It is independent of the actual Git repository, i.e., it can be
activated and configured without affecting the repository.

The following services are currently integrated into VoCol (and are
automatically executed with every push event):
- Syntax validation with Rapper and Jena Riot (also executed with every
pre-commit event which denies any commit that contain syntactic errors);
- An integrated Turtle Editor with basic functionalities for "real-time"
syntax checking and auto-completion;
- Documentation generation with Schema.org and Widoco;
- Visualization with WebVOWL;
- SPARQL endpoint querying with Jena Fuseki;
- Some basic analytics/statistics functionalities;
- Evolution report with OWL2VCS.

All services can be (de-)activated in the VoCol settings, and other
tools and services can be added as extensions.

Additional features of VoCol include dereferenceable URIs, content
negotiation, support of branches, etc.

An online demo is available at: http://butterbur06.iai.uni-bonn.de
An example of the configuration page can be accessed at:
http://butterbur06.iai.uni-bonn.de/docs/configuration_page.html

We provide a Vagrant Box, which you can download and run. With the
Vagrant Share mechanism, every generated artifact is publicly accessible
(while hosted on your machine). VoCol is provided also as a docker image.

More information about VoCol and screen casts for installing and using
it can be found on GitHub at: https://github.com/vocol/vocol

We are almost ready to integrate a service that allows ontology
engineers to use any editor such as: Protege, TopBraid, etc, and in the
end will generate a unique serialization with the objective to prevent
from false-positive conflicts that can be indicated by VCS i.e. Git, due
to different serializations.

Best,
Lavdim