Re: Best practices for versioning and documenting ontologies for Sem Web

From: Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:59:15 +0100
To: semantic-web <semantic-web@w3.org>
I've looked at Vocol, and it's too complex to install as a server, the mere
length of the install pages is frightening. But it certainly has good tools.

But the idea of using pre-commit git hooks is good.

I thought of a simple pre-commit that would use *rapper* to validate the
Turtle syntax, and translate to N-Triples format, plus possibly applying
the sort command to prevent re-ordering of the triples by tools like
Protégé .
Protégé and certainly other tools can read the N-Triples format, after all
it's Turtle also.

Using sorted N-Triples format, which is kind of canonical format, aims at
avoiding non-significant differences in git versioning. But I admit that it
does not work if tools renames blank nodes.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
http://www.semantic-forms.cc:9111/display?displayuri=http://jmvanel.free.fr/jmv.rdf%23me