Re: [DBpedia-discussion] Semantic Web Deployment

One reason why you hear so little about the semantic web is that in many
ways it has won.  That is,  major progress has been made in all of the
directions that the semantic web set out to do.  Almost all of them
relate to RDF graphs or property graphs in a fairly direct way,  even
though the people who built and use the system might not know or care.

Look at this schema for web services:

https://github.com/raml-org/raml-spec/blob/master/versions/raml-10/raml-10.md/

It is all about giving meaning to IRIs;  it is different from the
"dereferencing idea" but it is clearly in the same space.  The type
system contains xsd and you could easily convert a RAML document to RDF
with a mechanical translation and from there implement the inference
that RAML uses to reduce boilerplate.

------

If your aim is to storm the ramparts,  overturn the current titans of
the tech industry and get us out of the funk,  I say:

* you cannot beat Facebook and Google at their game,
* but people are realizing those things don't serve them well

fundamentally giving up on the advertising model and focusing on power
tools used by 'media consumers' that filter,  transform, remix, etc.
large amounts of content represented in the various ways it is commonly
represented.