With footnotes (was Re: Open Access to Journal of Web Semantics (JWS))

On 2017-08-08 19:16, Ian Horrocks wrote:
> I would like to remind everyone that JWS provides free open access via its preprint server:
>
> http://www.websemanticsjournal.org/
>
> You can find there not only the latest articles but an archive of all articles published in the journal going back to Vol 1, No 1 (2003).
>
> Ian Horrocks
> Editor in Chief
> Journal of Web Semantics

I would like to remind everyone that JWS provides free [1] open access
via its preprint server [2]:

http://www.websemanticsjournal.org/

You can find there not only the latest articles but an archive [3] of
all articles published in the journal [4] going back to Vol 1, No 1
(2003) [5].

[1] Nothing is free and this is not a charity from Elsevier. Public
institutions/libraries that subscribe to Elsevier's service have already
paid for the "free" service. How much? Ask your head librarian about the
confidentiality clause.

[2] These works precede peer-review and are not considered to be
"published". It is not "citable" when played by the rules. It is not the
canonical work.

[3] This is equivalent to the institutional repositories or open
archives. See eprints.org, hal.inria.fr, sw.deri.ie, dpsace.mit.edu,
svn.aksw.org, dataverse.org, ... arxiv.org, and many others. Already
paid by taxes or funded privately.

[4] If authors want to have a "preprint" (and more) published online,
your institution most likely has you covered - also paid by your taxes.
Moreover, your institution probably provides a Webspace for you. Talk to
your department or library about your needs.

[5] This journal required and maintained lowest standards for "Web" and
"Semantics" via desktop/print-centric solutions - nothing to do with the
native Web stack, but everything to do with fitting into Elsevier's
workflows and business. The Web Semantics journal *company* failed to
cultivate knowledge representation within its own realm since 2003.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i