Re: DISCLAIMER (was Re: [CfP] Journal of Web Semantics (JWS) - Special Issue on Ontology Engineering)

On 08/07/2017 12:19 PM, Alexander Garcia Castro wrote:
> Krzysztof , why is this picture of the publishing industry inaccurate?
> there must be some truth there because it is not just Sarven  the one
> with this perception -others are, however, less vociferous. Maybe we
> need less political correctness with businesses that provide a service
> to us (the message being we can remove/change them) and more
> rightfulness with the community of researchers as a whole.

Because the 'publishing industry' is not our enemy. The relation between
the publishing industry and science is very complex with beneficiaries
from both sides and a careful balance that we have to strike and
renegotiate as time progresses. This relationship goes back more than
300 years. If we paint a one-sided image of this relation, we are not
doing ourselves a favor. Instead, we should work with them to actively
shape this relationship. In many domains such as Computer Science, the
publishing industry's role is declining (which I believe is good) and
this puts us into a unique position and explains the rapid development
within the industry. Calling the behavior of one side shameful (and
their work junk) is not what one would call an invitation.

> As a disclaimer: I dont receive any money from the publishing
> industry. I am not an editor for any journal and at this moment I dont
> have any business relation with the publishing industry other than
> paying APCs for something that I really dont understand what am I
> paying for.

I am an editor of a journal and I work with the publishing industry and
I believe in understanding an industry before criticizing them. So far,
Pascal Hitzler and I have fostered open and transparent reviews, open
access to manuscripts in all stages, open and free *full *metadata, and
Linked Data usage by said industry. I believe that this a more fruitful
way to bringing change.

Best,
Krzysztof

--