Re: Slinging 'plus size' RDF (was Re: Storing RDF in a relational database)

On 11/2/16 11:59 PM, Simon Spero wrote:

> 1. Virtuoso is an SQL database designed  to support SPARQL & RDF. If
> the underlying dataset has schema that is mostly regular, using tables
> can be a big performance win over the straight triple store. Or it can
> be much worse.  Also cold vs. warm caches require care when
> benchmarking (this applies to just about every RDF store).
>
> 2. PubChem is a quite lovely dataset to work with when you only want
> some of it (especially for non bio :)
>
> Simon

Simon,

+1 to that :)

Fundamentally, Virtuoso is a demonstration of what's possible with both
SPARQL and SQL using a single high-performance RDBMS. It also leverages
understanding of RDF-Language with regards to critical issues such as
data security and privacy using  Attribute-based Access controls.

I guess its time to produce a few posts about how you can extend SQL
(one standard) using SPARQL (another standard) with regards to powerful
data access and integration, without compromising security and privacy
etc..

[1]
http://kidehen.blogspot.com/2015/07/conceptual-data-virtualization-across.html
[2]
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dbpedia-201604-edition-kingsley-uyi-idehen
[3]
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/reasoning-inference-using-british-royal-family-part-idehen
-- covers Custom (rather than in-built) Reasoning & Inference using
SPARQL as Rules Language (*note: this is part of the soon to be released
8.0 Edition of Virtuoso) .

Kingsley

--
Regards,