Re: Please avoid RDF/XML [was Re: RDF/XML syntax for quads]

From: A. Soroka <ajs6f@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 15:54:04 -0400
Cc: Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@graphity.org>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Andy Seaborne <andy@seaborne.org>, Fabien.Gandon@inria.fr
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Jena offers both a machine-efficient streamable "flat" form and a more human-oriented "XML-ish" form:

https://jena.apache.org/documentation/io/rdfxml_howto.html#rdfxml-rdfxml-abbrev
https://jena.apache.org/documentation/io/rdf-output.html#rdfxml

The fact that such a choice is made available speaks to the mismatch between RDF and XML. I add myself to the list of tired but stalwart people who spend too much time explaining that bnodes are not the secret way to recreate hierarchical context, ordered collections are only one of many possible choices for data modeling, etc.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library