Re: Handling multiple rdfs:ranges

On 02/23/2016 09:12 AM, Reto Gmür wrote:

[...]
>> Without any official formal semantics for schema.org or other guidance
>> from
>> the schema.org people we are reduced to considering the meaning of
>> English
>> phrases on the schema.org website.
>
> Could it be triples all the way down? Doesn't the justification chain
> typically ends at some definitions in natural language?

Well, maybe.  There is some stuff that has been machine-validated.  (Which
then makes the basis some computer code, I guess.)

One big reason for formal semantics is to ground on something that is quite
precise.  Grounding on simple model theories is useful, I think, because there
is very little wiggle room left in the definitions and constructions, even
though there is, as you say, still a natural language component that has to be
considered even if the natural language is some language that mathematicians
use to communicate with each other.

>> Worse, the phrases used there are generally quite informal.
>
> This makes it difficult indeed.
>
> Reto

peter