Clarification about language tag

From: Mario Valle <mvalle@cscs.ch>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:16:41 +0100
To: "semantic-web@w3.org Web" <semantic-web@w3.org>
Pardon me for the trivial question.

In Turtle syntax the @lang tag syntax refers to BCP47 that states:

language      = 2*3ALPHA            ; shortest ISO 639 code

That is, the language code (I ignore all the variants here) should be 2
or 3 characters. Indeed ISO 639
(http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php) lists both 2
and 3 chars codes (e.g., English: 'en' and 'eng').

But in all Turtle examples I have found the language code has 2 chars.
Is it a requirement or is simply a tradition? This means, could I write
"Pancake"@eng?

The question arises because WordNet contains 3 chars codes, so to
transform into triples, should/shouldn't I convert it to 2 characters?

Thanks for your patience

				mario

--
Ing. Mario Valle
Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)