Re: Are we utilizing the semantic web properly?

On 10 April 2016 at 21:09, Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> wrote:

> [re-sending to correct an error]
>
> On 10/04/2016 14:13, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>
>> 5. I think the semantic web can blow away traditional multi media services
>> by providing smart indexing, ratings, recommender engines and having data
>> at your fingertips.  Again we are non existent here.  It's also a great
>> business opportunity.  New technologies like webtorrent [2] may also
>> provide more interesting distributions models.
>>

> If you're talking about research activity, I don't think it's fair to say
> "non-existent".  E.g. http://www.semanticaudio.ac.uk
>
> Some of the various partners in this project have previous projects in the
> space of audio+linked data.  I understand the BBC have done/are also doing
> work in this space.  I expect there are others.

Wow, this is excellent!  Id kind of forgotten the BBC maybe pigeon holing
them in my head as a kind of silo, good point!  I apologize if I over
stated the case on this point.

Thanks alot for the pointer.  This is exactly the kind of project I wanted
to be made aware of.  This leads me to the question of how can I be more up
to date with work like this?

I follow mailing lists, use IRC, talk to sem web people, read planet rdf.
I dont attend conferences but often will read the web sites.  So maybe this
is just me, but could more be done to make the work that's going on more
visible, I wonder?

Or better still is there some app that can be used to demonstrate how this
can be useful, giving an 'ah ha' (or magic) moment.

What I'd love to see in semantic multi media is a whole bunch of media
indexed in a graph like structure (perhaps per license type) inclusive of
audio, video and image.  So that users can easily organize their own media
and search for other people's media (friends and public) via some kind of
taxonomy, reverse index (search), follow your nose, or recommender engine.