Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?

On 11/13/15 11:30 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> hi all,
>
> correct me if I am wrong:
>
> -Google CSE
>  -cannot be queried programmatically without violating the Google TOS

I don't know about that.

As per my demonstrations, you can construct URLs for directly accessing
HTML docs that are scoped to specific schema.org entity types.

>  -will only accept a disjunctive list of schema.org classes as restriction
>  -will only find pages mentioning things, not things

A page can only be about something. A CSE enables you access pages about
something that's an instance of one or more schema.org entity types.

> -Google products generally will not recognize triples with classes or
>  properties outside the schema.org namespace (with selected exceptions, e.G.
>  Goodrelations). This is understandable, but:
>
> -There is no way to tell Google crawlers that your classes/properties are
>  specializations of schema.org classes/properties.

A CSE isn't speaking to Google Crawlers. A CSE let's you scope queries
to Google's Index of Pages that include Structured Data Islands created
using Schema.org terms.

> I would say we are not there yet.

And I beg to differ since, "being there" to me is about the following:

[1] Incentivizing Web Masters and Web Developers to construct and
publish Web Documents that include both human and machine-comprehensible
Structured Data Islands

[2] Demonstrating utility of RDF Language based Structured Data, at
Web-scale

[3] Ending distractions such as RDF Language based Document Content
Format wars.

Kingsley

--
Regards,