Re: A preferred *what*? (was Re: a preferred sameAs)

On 2015-03 -21, at 20:38, Simon Spero <sesuncedu@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is it that is being preferred?

An identifier.  A URI.
> Is it a name, preferred because it is in some way more pleasing?
>
> Is it a locator, a description of a possible action, preferred because if performed it is more efficient, more reliable, more or secure or in some other way more effective?
>
> Is it an identifier,  preferred because reasons?

Example reasons

- the entity controls it so it is authentic

- it more stable than other URIs

> Who/What prefers it? The creator of the description?

no

> What if there are many descriptions of the  same entity, each with a distinct IRI, each proclaiming to be preferred?

Then if they are claims made by other entities they are wrong/false/misleading
If they are made by the same entity they are confused/outofdate/didireallyahvethatinmyfoaffile

> Are all preferred? Are none?

There is only one on a good day
> [Is this the best of all possible worlds?

No
> Does every farmer who owns a donkey beat it?

No