RE: Looking for pedagogically useful data sets

Hi Paul,

I am not sure if you would have an interest at all in this – and it may not even be appropriate to suggest, but I will throw it out there.

The ImageSnippets dataset (http://www.imagesnippets.com)  is now published on datahub.io, we have about 16k images and with those images are triples with these kind of statistics (as of today):  4985 dbPedia entities, 2072 yago entities and 760 Art & Architecture Thesaurus entities. The number is always growing – even if slowly :) We just started publishing it a few weeks ago.

So while this dataset may not be big enough by itself for your purposes, perhaps you could mash it up with something else interesting?  Depict is the main term for the main item in an image – but there are terms like: hasInBackground, and you can get interesting combinations with SPARQL.

something like: thisImage depicts Coffee Cup and hasInBackground a fireplace

The images (or a visual part/region) of the images are the subject of the triples and most use a

relation from LIO – a lightweight image ontology, this ontology is published on LOV and uses 11 terms which are purposefully ambiguous – but definitely easy for a complete RDF newbie to understand. These properties are explained here: http://www.imagesnippets.com/ArtSpeak/help/properties.html,

and also in the help files in the application itself.

Some of the images are protected by copyrights – but this usage is in the data, most are CC licensed and almost all would be fine for academic or research use.

I’d be interested in seeing whether someone could do something interesting with the data. We’d be happy to answer more questions if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Margaret