Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] [Dbpedia-ontology] Advancing the DBpedia ontology

Hi,

> My counsel is to not let DBpedia's mission stray into questions of
> conceptual "truth". Keep the ontology flat and simple with no
> aspirations other than "just the facts, ma'am".

I would not necessarily state it this way as the quality and the
expressibility of a large ontology such as the DBpedia ontology are key,
but I share your feeling about keeping this an information science
ontology instead of a philosophical ontology that aims at answering
questions about what exists in 'reality'. Information science ontologies
should aim at making these differences explicit, not at defining
'truth'. I would also be very careful not to develop this into any sort
of 'top-level' ontology or use a pre-fixed alignment to a particular
ontology. Generally, I hope a new DBpedia ontology would be following
the principle of minimal ontological commitments and may be even
developed based on ontology design patterns.

Best,
Krzysztof