Re: Books identifications

Hi -

Itıs been a while since I chimed in, but this is right up my alley. (I
work with identifiers in the book industry.) Which is to sayŠitıs
problematic.

Iıve worked with Ivan Herman on the DigiPub group and weıve bumped up
against similar issues, of course. I can explain your questions below.

Each separate edition of a book gets a separate ISBN. So E1B-E4B would all
get separate ISBNs. Multi-volume sets get an ISBN for the set, and
additional ones for each volume if those volumes are sold separately. Not
all books have ISBNs, though. Books that are not traded in the market
donıt have to have them. Self-published books donıt have to have them.
Ebooks donıt have to have them (though most publishers assign a single
ISBN for all formats of an ebook, whether Kindle or EPUB), and of course
this causes its own problems. So in that sense, yes, a book can have a DOI
and no ISBN.

There is currently no authoritative global database of all books
published. The publishing industry itself can be quite against
authoritativeness, which makes it difficult to bring into the 21st
century. :) Getting to a stage where we have a canonical URI for a book is
going to take years.