Re: RDF PATCH and Downstream consequences of blank nodes [was Re: SPARQL Profile for PATCH]

On 23/09/14 22:34, David Booth wrote:
> RDF tools are not as mature as those for XML or even JSON, which is much
> younger than RDF.  I believe blank nodes are one specific reason they're
> not.  The fact that we still don't even have a simple, standard way to
> compare RDF documents and compute diffs and patches, is a perfect example.

I agree about the maturity of RDF tools.  The discussion on LD patch
(note "LD", not "RDF") is one for on important use case although it's
it's not the only use case.  When the app is aware of how the data is
structured (Tim's apps are an example of this), the app can make
operations on the data that are handled at a higher level than just
triples (e.g. paths).

Other uses cases are incremental backup, replica maintenance and data
staging.  Tools to support these are not "app aware" and should work in
the general triple case.

 Andy