Re: Which file format to use?

Perhaps one of the workflow plan models would work - although they are
both a bit more centric on dataflows. It sounds to me like you are
almost defining an in-promptu workflow, though.

http://www.opmw.org/model/OPMW/#WorkflowTemplateProcess

http://purl.org/wf4ever/wfdesc

So in both approaches you basically describe a template processes and
artifacts, which when executed would give life to particular processs
and artifacts.

e.g. (in Turtle):

:proc1 a wfdesc:Process ;
    wf:hasInput :in1, :in2 ;
    wf:hasOutput :out1 .

:in1 rdfs:label "scannedText" ;
    wfdesc:hasArtifact :imageFile .
:in2 rdfs:label "qualitySetting" .
:out1 rdfs:label "ocr" ;
    wfdesc:hasArtifact :pdfFile .

:imageFile a wfdesc:Artifact, dcmitype:StillImage ;
  dc:format "image/png" .

:pdfFile a wfdesc:Artifact, dcmitype:Text ;
   dc:format "application/pdf" .

Here the process template is kind of saying what should always be true
when executing this process or workflow, e.g. every output file would
always be PDF.

Multiple steps can be expressed as a wfdesc:Workflow with multiple
wfdesc:Process, and a series of wfdesc:DataLink that relate input and
output wfdesc:Parameters.

OPMW has a similar structure, but here the dataflow is given by
'virtual' opmw:uses and opmw:generates between
opmw:WorkflowTemplateArtifact's.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science