Re: Semweb ontology-to-ontology

An interesting approach, but surely not the right way to do it in the Semantic Web.

The way you describe is to do classic data fusion, and then use Semantic Web *technologies* (without any Webby bit!) to query the data, and possibly publish it into the Semantic Web.

The Semantic Web way is to expose the data sources as Semantic Web resources, and then the aggregation is done in the Semantic Web.
Of course, this means that the ontologies don’t align naturally, unless there is a major (probably expensive and time-consuming) standardisation activity first.
And if the ontologies are aligned, the process becomes fragile to changes in the underlying schema of the data sources, where each source then needs to modify the export process to maintain the publication schema.

Much better to do the Raw Data Now of converting the data sources into the “natural” RDF, and then have a flexible schema transformation process that helps to transform those into whatever schema(s) is currently required by the consuming application.

(We did this for some data sources in RKBExplorer, and it has been running pretty much without any schema maintenance for many years.)

I think this is more what Paul is describing.

As Dave De Roure and I have said “Let’s put the Web in Semantic Web!”

Best

--
Hugh Glaser
   20 Portchester Rise