Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

On 10/6/14 2:19 PM, Alexander Garcia Castro wrote:
> querying PDFs is NOT simple and requires a lot of work -and usually
> produces lots of errors.

Yes, I believe I indicated that in my response to Peter i.e., it isn't
simple or productive.

> just querying metadata is not enough.

Yes, I said that too i.e., we want access to raw data.

> As I said before, I understand the PDF as something that gives me a
> uniform layout. that is ok and necessary, but not enough or sufficient
> within the context of the web of data and scientific publications. I
> would like to have the content readily available for mining purposes.
> if I pay for the publication I should get access to the publication in
> every format it is available. the content should be presented in a way
> so that it makes sense within the web of data.  if it is the full
> content of the paper represented in RDF or XML fine. also, I would
> like to have well annotated content, this is simple and something that
> could quite easily be part of existing publication workflows. it may
> also be part of the guidelines for authors -for instance, identify and
> annotate rhetorical structures.

Modulo any confusing typos in my earlier posts, I don't see where we are
disagreeing :-)

Kingsley