Re: scientific publishing process (was Re: Cost and access)

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 14:03:03 -0400
To: public-lod@w3.org
CC: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
On 10/6/14 12:48 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> It's not hard to query PDFs with SPARQL.  All you have to do is
> extract the metadata from the document and turn it into RDF, if
> needed. Lots of programs extract and display this metadata already.

Peter,

Having had 200+ (some-non-rdf-doc} to RDF document transformers built
under my direct guidance, there are issues with your claim above:

1. The extractors are platform specific -- AWWW is about platform
agnosticism (I don't want to mandate an OS for experiencing the power of
Linked Open Data transformers / rdfizers)

2. It isn't solely about metadata  -- we also have raw data inside these
documents confined to Tables, paragraphs of sentences

3. If querying a PDF was marginally simple, I would be demonstrating
that using a SPARQL results URL in response to this post :-)

Possible != Simple and Productive.

We want to leverage the productivity and simplicity that AWWW brings to
data representation, access, interaction, and integration.

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO