Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper

From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:23:10 +0100
To: Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
Cc: Mauro Dragoni <dragoni@fbk.eu>, Fabien Gordon <Fabien.Gandon@inria.fr>, Marta Sabou <marta.sabou@modul.ac.at>, Harald Sack <harald.sack@hpi.uni-potsdam.de>, <semantic-web@w3.org>, <public-lod@w3.org>
Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> writes:

> On 2014-10-01 13:36, Mauro Dragoni wrote:
>> Papers should not exceed fifteen (15) pages in length and must be
>> formatted according to the guidelines for LNCS authors. Papers must be
>> submitted in PDF (Adobe's Portable Document Format) format.
>
> As I understand it, there is a disconnect between the submission format and
> what ESWC wishes to achieve or encourage [1].
>
> Can someone please elaborate on how forcing researchers to use PDF to share
> their publicly funded knowledge instead of SW/LD technologies and tools better
> fulfills [1], or perhaps even contributes towards the Semantic Web "vision"?
>
> I would like to better discover and use SW research knowledge. ESWC
> encouraging and promoting PDF for knowledge sharing sets an unnecessary limit
> on discovery and use.
>
> Will you consider encouraging the use of Semantic Web / Linked Data
> technologies for Extended "Semantic Web" Conference paper submissions?

Additionally, submission is to a closed access publisher, requiring us
to sign our copyright away in return for, well, nothing.

As well as being irritating, UK academics submitting to ESWC run the
risk that their papers will not be open to REF submission; even if they
are, we have to go to additional efforts to ensure they are green OA
published. This is also true of ISWC which makes the semantic web a
pretty unattractive area to do research in.

Can we dump both Springer and PDF please?

Phil