Re: What should we call RDF's ability to allow multiple models to peacefully coexist, interconnected?

On 07/03/2014 20:09, David Booth wrote:
> On 03/07/2014 02:33 PM, Timothy W. Cook wrote:
>> [ . . . ]  What RDF really does is;
>> provide a data model agnostic 'layer for semantic connections across
>> information resources'.
>
> That is true, but I am hoping for a term that somehow also succinctly conveys
> the **value proposition** of doing so -- i.e., a term that somehow alludes to
> the benefit that this characteristic provides.

I see the key value proposition is that is provides a semantically sound basis
to combine data from different sources -- provided that the different sources
use terms in consistent ways (i.e. satisfying the same semantic models).

The core if this, IMO, is the semantic entailment associated with RDF graph
merges, per the "Merging Lemma" in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-mt-20040210/ (section 2 and appendix A).  (I
just noticed this is omitted from the latest model theory - I assume it hasn't
been invalidated by the changes.)

It turns out, per a poster by Patel-Schneider and Haves presented at ISWC 2013
(http://iswc2013.semanticweb.org/content/posters/14) these core semantics are
extremely weak.  IMO, that's a feature not a bug, if sufficient to allow graph
merging without loss of corruption of meaning.

#g