Re: Deduced property

On Jan 31, 2014, at 10:21 AM, <tim.glover@bt.com> <tim.glover@bt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (Also speaking from the sidelines, so apologies if this is nonsense).
>
> As a software engineer, the striking difference is this.  In Java, if a class A  has property x, then all objects of that class have property x. If class B extends A, then all objects of class B also have property x.

It is very unfortunate that the word "class" is used in both description logic and OOP, with sharply different meanings.

> In OWL the logical direction  is completely different.

It is even different for classes. In OWL, a property of a class need not be a property of the objects of the class, nor vice versa. You have to carefully distinguish properties of the class itself from properties of the objects in the class. The class containing you, me and Aidan, for example, is not a human being and has three members, whereas we are human beings and I for one do not have three members.

Pat

> In OWL, if property x has domain A, that does NOT mean that all objects of class A have property x. It means that IF an object has property x, it must belong to class A (very roughly speaking -  I am aiming for conceptual intuition of the difference here, rather than strict accuracy). IF B is a subclass of A, and IF I can deduce that object b is a B, then it must also be an A.
>
> Inheritance in programming languages allows one to deduce properties of an object  from a description of a class.  In OWL, the idea is to deduce the class of an object from a description of its properties.
>
> The OWL specs do not talk about inheritance because inheritance in the usual sense does not apply to OWL. Other people believe that OWL has something to do with inheritance because the terminology of classes and subclasses is the same. But the meaning is quite different.
>
> Tim.

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)