Re: The ability to automatically upgrade a reference to HTTPS from HTTP

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:32:32 +1000
Cc: Michael Brunnbauer <brunni@netestate.de>, Public TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, SW-forum Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

On 24 Aug 2014, at 1:01 pm, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> I wonder what stage SNI adoption is at.

Getting better; the major problems are Android 2.2 and IE6 on WinXP IIRC; they're not going to change anytime soon, but they will reduce gradually over time.

Note that one of the use cases for Alt-Svc is to segment SNI from non-SNI supporting clients, so you can reduce IP consumption:
  https://httpwg.github.io/http-extensions/alt-svc.html

See also:
  https://www.mnot.net/blog/2014/05/09/if_you_can_read_this_youre_sniing
for some non-browser clients that don't support SNI (I should re-run that; I know that a few e.g. Yandex now do send SNI).

One of the biggest holdouts is Python 2.x, unfortunately, and it's not yet clear when it'll be updated (although it does appear in-scope for PEP 466).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/