Re: Is there a way to identify the a user in a web request?

On 24 May 2013 12:42, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 24 May 2013, at 12:36, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 24 May 2013 12:27, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>

>> On 24 May 2013, at 12:14, Leon Derczynski <leon@dcs.shef.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> It's been traditional for crawlers to specify an email or web URI in the
>> "From:" header of any HTTP requests they make; this could readily be used
>> for an identifying link.
>>
>> All the best,
>>

>> You could also use a Link header to put that information.
>> But you don't really want to be sending this around automatically, and
>> without the user
>> getting to decide if he wishes to authenticate. with https the server can
>> ask
>> the client for identifying info, and the client can decide to give it or
>> not.
>> See http://webid.info/spec
>>

> Identification and authentication are different problems.
>
> Consider the postal service.  You traditionally identify by writing your
> name on an envelope.  Historically people have used things like 'royal
> seals', or 'registered post' for some extra layer of auth on top.
>

> You do that in the postal system, so that if your mail cannot reach its
> destination it is easy to send a
> response back. With HTTP it is easy to send a response back because your
> TCP connection will
> fail if you cannot connect.
>
> A preferred authentication system should not be an impediment to the
> ability to identify in a simple intuitive way, imho
>

> Well you can do that by using the Link Headers perhaps.
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988
> You can add any metadata using that, including authoriship of the content
> using WebID for
> example. I am speaking of the plain vanilla WebID as defined here
>   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html

So my question is whether there is an existing link header.  There appears
not to be anything concrete.  Maybe something in oauth or webdav I thought
perhaps.

Reuse of "From" is possible, but at least some of those that control the
registry may have some push back on this

Another existing link header could be used, similar to how baidu and google
are doing it today (tho it's not elegant)

A new link header could be made e.g. an http, or one in the registry