Re: Is there a way to identify the a user in a web request?

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:33:35 +0200
To: leon@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Cc: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
On 24 May 2013 12:14, Leon Derczynski <leon@dcs.shef.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's been traditional for crawlers to specify an email or web URI in the
> "From:" header of any HTTP requests they make; this could readily be used
> for an identifying link.

It could be done, but I think there would be pushback from the IETF on
this, as "From" has some legacy relation to email.

Mark Nottingham has suggested that the ABNF forbids the use of HTTP
identifiers, but I am unsure that this is 100% accurate, as the RFC says
"SHOULD"

So I think there needs to be clarification on this, before reusing it.
Alternatively if there's another header that can be used, consensus could
be established.