Re: Is science on sale this week?

ACL has been doing this (open everything) for a long time, for conferences,
workshops and journals, and it works very well, in a very simple format (
http://aclweb.org/anthology-new/ ) - if a similar initiative & body were to
take this role for I/ESWC, it would be surely welcome. It also causes fewer
indexing problems to automatic bibliographic systems (e.g. dblp, google
scholar) than does arXiv.

Springer are charging astronomical fees to make things open, essentially
reverting to a high-priced pay-to-publish model that we typically disregard
as being a scam. The big publishers share the prestige heritage of
well-recognised journals, but nothing more.

--
Leon R A Derczynski
Research Associate, NLP Group

Department of Computer Science