Re: Petitioning ISWC to allow Web friendly formats

From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 12:46:51 +0100
To: <beyond-the-pdf@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Linking Open Data <public-lod@w3.org>, SW-forum <semantic-web@w3.org>
Steve Pettifer <steve.pettifer@manchester.ac.uk> writes:
> This is a tempting assumption to make, especially if you come from computer
> science / maths / physics and related disciplines (as I do). But my experience
> in the life sciences is that authors do 'paint' their manuscripts by hand,
> painstakingly selecting the font and format for every bit of their document.
> Even using the 'semantic' features of wordprocessors (such as 'Heading 1') is
> something that's not commonplace.

And they never worked anyway, since two pieces of "Heading 1" text could
look complete different. I tried to use the features, but they were
useless for collaborative work as collaboraters never used them.

> So before we get too carried away with expecting people to write HTML
> / LaTex or even markup, we'll need to take into account the working
> practises of the vast majority of academics outside of the more
> 'semantically aware' bits of science.

I think the current idea is not to expect people to write in HTML, but
to stop preventing them.

Phil