Re: New vCard Ontology draft

On 03/05/13 09:21, Dave Reynolds wrote:
> On 02/05/13 15:56, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> The Semantic Web Interest Group has published a new draft for the
>> vCard-in-RDF Ontology[1], edited by Renato Iannella and James
>> McKinney. The new draft updates the previous version[2] by aligning it
>> with the latest IETF vCard specification, ie, RFC6350[3].
>>
>> This is a draft; comments on the draft should be sent to the SWIG
>> mailing list. The goal is to publish an Interest Group Note once there
>> is a consensus in the community.
>
> Thanks for this. Some comments based on a quick skim rather than an in
> depth review.
>
> 1. As noted in the Issue in section 1, this new vocabulary needs to be
> in a new namespace. This will be inconvenient but I see no other choice
> given the new design. Specifically:
> (a) Many of the properties that look similar between this specification
> and the previous one have changed their name (adr, street-address, fn
> etc). So I assume that the intent is that the old names would not be
> permitted under this new specification.
> (b) There has been a substantial shift in semantics from talking about
> properties of VCards (information records) to properties of entities
> (e.g. individuals).

One follow up on this ...

I see that the new draft ontology has already been published at
http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns# which no longer contains the terms
defined in [1] such as vcard:adr.

This means that anyone who has published Linked Data using the old
version of the vCard mapping will find that their vocabulary terms no
longer deference.

If you do resolve the namespace issue by retaining the same namespace
then please could the old terms be retained with a owl:deprecated
declaration as described by Martin.

Thanks,
Dave

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2010/SUBM-vcard-rdf-20100120/