SKOS question: car models and make

From: Jeremy J Carroll <jjc@syapse.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:54:08 -0700
To: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>

I am trying to model some vocabularies to do with genes and alleles in SKOS.

For the sake of a wider audience, I can reformulate the question in terms of cars.

If I go to, e.g.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.shtml
and enter a year in the form (e.g. 2008)

then I get a menu which is a choice from a vocabulary of makes, and I can make a selection (e.g. Volkswagen or Honda)

then I can choose a model (e.g. New Beetle Convertible or Accord )

Notice that it is an error if the UI presents Accord as an option for Volkswagen

How should I model this with SKOS?

With a naive mapping to SKOS from what we currently have, I would get different concept schemes for makes (genes) as opposed to models (alleles), and a property on each model (allele) showing the related (gene).

What is the 'right way' to do this?

Jeremy J Carroll
Principal Architect
Syapse, Inc.