Re: Petitioning ISWC to allow Web friendly formats

On 05/06/2013 02:55 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> What format(s) are being used today that are not "web friendly"?
>
> PDF, for example, is a formal and official part of the open web.  In fact,
> it is a normative reference in the HTML5 specification from the W3C.

Hi Leonard, thanks for your feedback.

"Web friendly" here refers to native to the Web. For accessing, sharing
and discovering in an ubiquitous matter which benefits not only the user
interacting with it but also the society in general. Given that
generalization, PDF is not as Web friendly as HTML and friends, because
the potential benefit of HTML (on a web page) is by far greater than
that of a PDF. Proving this is a trivial exercise as we simply have to
look at how information is exchanged today across the globe, and how our
communication has changed drastically (arguably for the better).

Moreover, PDF on the Web is a good "hack". Applications or services that
work within or for the Web browser are all great efforts, however, it is
no where close to how one can access that information directly from a
document in HTML. For a similar comparison, we don't have to look far,
see also: Flash.

At this point, we didn't even speak about additional semantics which go
into an HTML document that improves information representation and
mining, and the uptake (welcoming) of these efforts by major players
that work with or on the Web.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i