Re: SW Graphical Notation

On 6/30/2013 4:51, Michael F Uschold wrote:
> I agree that it is probably too early to have a standard, we should
> first have some good candidates that have been used for a while and
> think about standards afterwards.
>
> Note that there is a big difference between a graphical tool for
> authoring vs. purely visualizing.  Tools for the latter normally use a
> lot of automation to get good layouts and there is usually no attempt
> to completely show all the axioms which are needed for authoring.
>  There are a lot of tools for visualizing, but they all have major
> shortcomings, and none are very adequate overall.
>
> I am not aware of any commercial tools that are widely available and
> in use for authoring OWL.   I used a tool from Cerebra some years ago,
> but they were acquired by Web Methods and that tool is not available.
>  It may be getting use in house.  Gary Ng was one of the developers.
>  Sandpiper Software has been preparing one for a while called the
> Visual Ontology Modeller, but it does not yet seem to be available for
> purchase on their web site.
>
> My colleague at Semantic Arts, Simon Robe, gave a short talk at
> SemTech in S.F. a few weeks ago about *Graphically Authoring OWL
> Ontologies in Microsoft Visio.*   He developed a tool we use in house
> for authoring OWL enterprise ontologies for large companies.  If
> printed out using a plotter and put on a wall, they would be about ten
> feet high and anywhere from ten to twenty feed wide.
> *
> *
> I have been using this tool for  the last few years and find it very
> convenient.  While there are pros and cons, I have come to much prefer
> the graphical authoring approach compared to using tools like Protégé
> or Topbraid Composer.  So I author using our Visio plugin and use
> Protégé and/or Topbraid Composer mainly for viewing and querying in
> SPARQL.   It is not for sale at this time, but it freely available to
> our clients.

Hi Michael,

are you aware that TopBraid Composer's Diagram tab is also editable, see

http://composing-the-semantic-web.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/graphical-ontology-editing-with.html

(it used to be a pure viewer until mid 2012). The notation we use there
is close to UML and should therefore be familiar to most users. I
definitely wouldn't claim it's perfect - we never invested enough time
on this kind graphical editing, because it is limited to certain
scenarios only: Graphical notations IMHO cannot scale to editing large
ontologies and - as you state - cannot efficiently capture all semantic
constructs of OWL (or SPIN or whatever). However, this kind of
visualization is useful to get quick overviews of ontologies that have
been given to you, and are good to create outlines that are later
refined with form-based editing. TBC users can switch back and forth
between the two notations, because the diagrams are generated on the fly
from the current context.

Holger