Re: SW Graphical Notation

* Enrico Franconi <franconi@inf.unibz.it> [2013-06-28 12:03+0200]
> I don't believe we need to invent/introduce a graphical syntactic variant of OWL.
> On the one hand, like Peter was saying, we need to improve the quality of the visual/graphical aspects of OWL editors. These visual/graphical aspects are not expected to cover completely cover the OWL language nor the design process of an OWL ontology, but are meant to support the analysis and the comprehension of certain aspects of the ontology (e.g., the taxonomy, etc).
> On the other hand, we have to understand that there is a reason why (a) in 20+ years of history of description logics, no graphical syntax to the language has been proposed, but (b) there are graphical/visual "standards" for the most used conceptual modelling languages, namely ER [1], UML [2] and ORM [3], which can be seen as very similar and intuitive.
> Most OWL statements are quite subtle in nature and do not have an graphical counterpart which simplifies their understanding. ER, UML, ORM statements are inherently graphical in nature and the graphics actually tells you in an intuitive way their meaning.

I've seen a couple which seemed to help people grok schemas. There's an early OWL (or maybe DAML+OIL doc that I stumble across from time to time which represented partitions as radially divide elipses (sort of like pie charts). I tried to put triples and set constraints in <http://www.w3.org/TR/hcls-kb/#triplemodel>. These may not be super-intuitive for the person who has never considered intersections and unions, but them hollowed or solid diamonds and circles aren't apparent until one has learned the UML visual language.

--
-ericP