Re: There's No Money in Linked Data

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for the post and for the discussion. I agree with most of it.
Some specific comments

*2. Most datasets of the LOD cloud are maintained by a single person or by
nobody at all *(at least as stated on datahub.io)

I think this is key, may be having a tiered system like (apache? ) might
help. Datasets with one person involved, go into incubator phase? and then
later on depending on community involvement, usage, bugs/errors found they
are promoted to an advanced level? This will ensure a greater oversight and
community involvement. This might help even with the issues of quality as
well.

*But now it’s time to clean up*:

Very crucial. It is something we have tried to point out in the past, [1]

Minor point:

*1. The LOD cloud covers mainly ‘general
knowledge<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_knowledge>‘
in contrast to ‘domain knowledge<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_knowledge>
‘

*
There are more domain specific datasets on LOD, Geonames, Music Brainz,
Bio2RDF (you pointed out), Lingvoj,... I think there are few DBpedia like
datasets (Freebase, and CIA Factbook). A big collection of information
about places,
*

*
*Reference:

*
[1] Linked data is merely more data P.
Jain<http://resweb.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view.php?person=us-jainpr>,
P. Hitzler, P.Z. Yeh, K. Verma, A.P. Sheth
*Linked Data Meets Artificial Intelligence*, 82--86, 2010

Regards

Prateek

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Prateek Jain, Ph. D.