Re: There's No Money in Linked Data

In the Harvard Business Review March 2013 Issue is an article about The Big Idea: Big Bang Disruption about new innovations having enormous impacts on existing business models, markets and competition alike.

Such big bang innovations are about to happen in big data an cloud computing, we ourselves are about to push one globally in the international civil society of non-profits.

See: The Center for Civil Society Studies at John Hopkins University at http://ccss.jhu.edu/ to get a feel of how large this untapped market segment for goods and services is worldwide.

With a good dose of Dutch ingenuity and business mindedness we are looking at turning the intellectual property issues into opportunities.

To us linked data or LD is commercially somewhere along the vertical and horizontally connected business segments, linked open data (LOD) is subject to open licenses along all connections.

Using this operational definition it is possible to create economic and mathematical business models to finally launch metadata into cloud computing, wireless and mobile networking platforms.

The last episode of Click TV on BBC News TV showed the potential of metadata in a field that even Google has had a hard time with: organizing and searching digital image files.

Since Facebook pages and most other social media sites thrive on the use of pictures expect the use of these to push the next equivalent of the iTunes business model to explode big bang style onto the market.

Digital still images are even better suited to be properly protected than audio files.

The article was an eye opener and has made me even more convinced that there is money in linked data and even in linked open data.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide by creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide and: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development