Re: Deprecate http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# in favour of /ns/rdf# ??

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:21:41 +1000, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
wrote:

>> On 28 Nov 2013, at 23:10, "Charles McCathie Nevile"
>> <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>> But I object to the idea of using schema.org - among other things,
>> using a namespace rooted in a domain you don't control is a terrible
>> idea.
>
> I control neither schema.org nor w3.org, so by that logic using either
> is a terrible idea.

Sorry. s/you/one/ in the statement above, for more precision and accuracy
(but note this is english - hardly a precise technical formalism at the
best of times).

W3C controls w3.org. It does not control schema.org in any way.

>> And holding namespaces for RDF fundamentals is a long way outside
>> schema.org's mission,
>
> I have some news for you. May I direct your attention to
> http://schema.org/Property
> http://schema.org/Class
> http://schema.org/domainIncludes
> http://schema.org/rangeIncludes
> http://schema.org/sameAs
> http://schema.org/additionalType

I'm aware of them.

> That's a pretty good start and I'd like to see more.

Actually, I think that was more than we needed.

>> whereas it seems an obvious thing to expect W3C to do.
>
> W3C does a fine job *holding* namespaces for RDF fundamentals. But
> that's not enough. W3C does a terrible job at removing obstacles to
> adoption that were designed into these namespaces in the distant past.

Hmm. I note that the terms described by these namespaces have been quite
widely adopted, so I don't think the case is as clear as "W3C does a
good/bad job". But I don't think that's the key point.

I see no reason to imagine why W3C handing the task of defining the core
RDF terms to a private consortium with a specific interest would be an
overall improvement.

I think we at schema.org do a moderately good job of providing ways to
tell search engines about content that is consumed by search engines. But
there are some pretty obvious and spectacular failures there too. I
suggest we focus on doing our job better, and work on getting the W3C
community to do theirs better.

cheers

Chaals