From: Kendall Shaw [mailto:kshaw@kendallshaw.com]
Sent: 13 August 2013 16:03
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Subject: Re: RDF/A in the wild?

On 08/13/2013 06:52 AM, Stéphane Corlosquet wrote:

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com<mailto:kshaw@kendallshaw.com>> wrote:
Hello,

There seems to be no activity on the more public list. I hope this is not an inappropriate question.

I probably have a fundamental misunderstanding but, where can I see RDF/A being used on a web page and resulting in the data being used to produce detailed search results in a search engine. The point being a real world actual use of RDF/A, not an example of how to use RDF/A.

A few random examples:
Event: http://www.curlingcalendar.com/tournaments/664 (Rich snippet review<http://goo.gl/HqyKox>, live search result<http://goo.gl/OXGw9N>)
Person: http://definitivedrupal.org/authors/jacine-luisi (Rich Snippet preview<http://goo.gl/ghsk8a>, live search result<http://goo.gl/Zzo3An>)
Recipe: http://abc-dieta.sk/jahody-s-tvarohovou-plnkou.html (Rich Snippet review<http://goo.gl/LJlgDz>, live search result<http://goo.gl/ci6J7C>)

(search for 'schema:' in the HTML source)

If I look on the goodrelations website, there are examples of marking up web pages with microdata or rdf/a but the pages themselves do not use microdata or rdf/a. Or, I am looking in the wrong place.

Another example, if I search for best buy, for example, in google, I see detailed search results, but I see no microdata or RDF/A anywhere that I have looked there.

If no RDFa or microdata is found, often search engines will try to extract some data using some proprietary heuristics or microformats.

Steph.

Thank you. With the person search, I can see where the data comes from that google is returning in search results. The site searches are accompanied by a google ad for the webmaster structured data tool, hehe.

It is disconcerting that if I try to show someone the value of adding metadata to html, I can't simply do a search and show them how the details are coming from metadata. In nearly all searches that I have done to test this, I can find no corresponding metadata on the page.

Kendall

Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purpose only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it, along with any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and outgoing email communications.