Re: New Hewlett Packard patent may be a barrier to Semantic Web services adoption

From: Renato Iannella <ri@semanticidentity.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:27:13 +1000
Cc: semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web@w3c.org>, public-lod@w3.org
To: Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org>

On 1 Aug 2013, at 05:15, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Yesterday, Hewlett Packard has been granted a patent on "Policy Enforcement":
>
> 	http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8498959.html
> 	http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8498959.pdf
>
> As far as I can see, it heavily constrains the commercial exploitation of research done in the Semantic Web / Semantic Web Services community from 2001-2009.
>
> So if you worked on policies in the context of Semantic Web Services or Semantic Business Process Management before November 2009, it may be worthwhile to check whether the patent claims inventions that you can prove to have been prior art at that time.

[Note: This is not legal advice ]

If you read Claim#1 (the main claim) then it sounds like a "grid" version of policy enforcement engine(s).
Very similar/same to what XACML does (1995) but distributed (which in itself is not novel).
If Claim#1 is dubious, then all other claims depend on it.

[Note: This is not legal advice ]

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity