Re: How to put an annotation in HTML?

Hi John and Denny,
the problem is well known and RDFa has its limits. Please see the new
ITS 2.0 spec [1], which provides a solution for this. ITS 2.0 will
likely be widely adopted by CMS and translation industry and it has an
RDF transition using NIF[2] .

@Denny: For your request RDFa should be fine, if you just want to include:
<http://sws.geonames.org/4951788> a owl:Thing .

Note that the resulting RDF does not contain any provenance information,
so I am unsure, whether calling it an "annotation" is appropriate. It is
rather an inclusion of extra triples in HTML.
You are loosing any reference to "Springfield" as RDFa parsers don't
support this.
Turtle in HTML would also be an easy option:
http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#xhtml

ITS 2.0 example:
its-ta-ident-ref="http://sws.geonames.org/4951788" >Springfield</span>
has mild summers and short, but hard winters.</p>
NIF:
<http://example.com/doc.html#xpath(/p[1]/span[1]/text()[1])>
     itsrdf:xpath2nif <http://example.com/doc.html#char=23,34> .
<http://example.com/doc.html#char=23,34>
     rdf:type              nif:RFC5147String ;
     itsrdf:taIdentRef  <http://sws.geonames.org/4951788> ;

Well, NIF is more for natural language processing tools and middleware,
so it's overkill for just including the occasional triple now and then ...

All the best,
Sebastian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#conversion-to-nif