Re: How to put an annotation in HTML?

Hi Denny,
First, I think you describe a scenario that has a lot of application areas :-)

One solution could be for the W3C agree upon a "NULL" URI (e.g. URN) for properties and objects in RDF triples, for use in RDFa and elsewhere. This would allow using the existing RDFa spec for your purpose.

For instance, the W3C could define the URN NID "rdfa"

Then, you could simply write

(I did not check whether URNs are valid for typeOf, but I think so)

An RDFa validator would be okay, an RDFa parser could be set to ignore the resulting triples, and if not, nothing harmful would happen.

Another solution would be to use the owl:Thing URI, i.e.

You would not have any unintended side-effects and you would not need to know the type of the thing.

Martin

On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Denny Vrandečić wrote:

> Assume I am just writing HTML by hand. I don't need a tool to discover and annotate entities for me, I am just wondering about the syntax for myself.
>
> As far as I know (and I checked the standards, but maybe I missed it), there is no 'about' attribute in HTML, my example was faked up. How would that look like correctly?
>
> Cheers,
> Denny
>

> 2013/4/24 Stéphane Corlosquet <scorlosquet@gmail.com>
> Hi Denny,
>
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Denny Vrandečić <denny.vrandecic@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> Sorry, probably a stupid questions:
>
> Let us say, I have some HTML like this...

> And now, for example in order to simplify extraction, I want to annotate Springfield with an URI, maybe like this, to make sure that the computer understands I mean the Springfield in Massachusetts:

> How do I actually do that?
>
> Could you clarify which context are you in? Are you using a WYSIWYG editor, or writing HTML by hand? I mean, the snippet above looks good, so are you looking for services to help annotate and find the right URI? Have you looked at Stanbol [1] which can detect DBpedia entities in unstructured text? RDFaCE [2] is a TinyMCE plugin which can help with annotation as well.
>
> Does that help?
>
> Steph.
>
> [1] https://stanbol.apache.org/
> [2] http://aksw.org/Projects/RDFaCE.html
>

> Mind you, I don't want to add whole triples, but just annotate the HTML and say "this element refers to the following URI".
>
> Cheers,
> Denny
>

> --
> Project director Wikidata
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.
>

> --
> Steph.
>

> --
> Project director Wikidata
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org