Re: N3 and Turtle Syntax Questions

Hi David,

On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:19, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 10:02 -0400, David Wood wrote:
>> Hi David and Hugh,

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Lots of experience with other languages has shown that it is more
>>> user/programmer friendly to allow an extra comma/semicolon at the
>>> end of
>>> a list than to treat it strictly as a separator.
>>

>> Andy answered this authoritatively at [1], so please don't expect a
>> comma.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-comments/2012Sep/0067.html
>>
> I took Andy's message as merely informing us of what N3 currently
> accepts.  Was it also intended as a statement of a decision by the RDF
> working group?
>
> Even if N3 does not allow the comma this way, I still think it would be
> an improvement to Turtle that should be considered and weighed against
> the downside of updating parsers (which already must be updated to
> accept other syntactic changes from the Turtle submission).

No, it was not a decision, but we are likely to leave it up to the editors unless there is substantial discussion in the group.  I doubt the group will lean toward supporting a comma since it is not supported in N3.  Semicolons look easier.  I suppose we could add pipes or Unicode snowmen, but how many terminators do we really need?

> As others may have noticed, I tend to lean toward fixing RDF glitches
> now, rather than letting them continue, as I still view RDF as being in
> its relative infancy.  It will be much harder to fix these things later
> when there's much larger worldwide adoption.

I agree, as far as that goes, but I don't consider a desire for additional syntactic sugar necessarily broken.  Semicolons without commas sound like a nice middle ground.

Regards,
Dave