Re: Socio technical/Qualitative metrics for LD Benchmarks

Adam
thanks-
Please note I do not 'complain about the narrow view of the world per se
I am a great advocate of freedom of worldviews :-)
Also, as you also say. some technical advances are by definition 'narrow'
in the sense that one milisecond performance improvement may take a great
deal of work
to achieve, and is by deintion a very small thing, yet a  big deal to some.
I am aware that science can advance in small steps
B ut things are changing
we need to take into account 'acceleration' and a lot of other factors
What I complain about is forcing the scope of a great big project to a
single
narrow view of what is within scope, despite consortium members think
otherwise

I shall try to make other important points I was trying to put across in my
reply to Gio

> I think that the way to approach this is through thinking about quality
> with respect to values (made explicit in the research). Those values might
> be human, individual cognitive or other psychological, political or other
> group as defined by the researcher.

that, and probably more

> At the moment, as far as I can see, and my view is certainly
> circumscribed, those values have been defined by default as those of
> commerce.

not even that. commerce is also 'big' when you count everyone in. I would
say defined by those who dominate the market, and those who have the power
and authortity to decide
a) who gets in and who stays out of a research consortium
b)  who makes decisions and how (ie, a single fascist in high position of
power will make decisions and other consortium members shut up because they
do not want to get in trouble)

I don't think that postion is quite so acceptable or fashionable now, what
> with the financial crash. It is the historical role of academia to rise
> above such things.

things have changed. academia is  mostly all about  business nowadays

> Good luck Paola!

thank you Ada, I need it
see more in reply to Gio

PDM