Re: Can we create better links by playing games?

On 19 June 2012 21:04, Jens Lehmann <lehmann@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> most of you will agree that links are an important element of the Web of
> Data. There exist a number of tools, such as LIMES [1] or SILK [2], which
> are able to create a high number of such links by using heuristics. The
> manual validation of verification of such links can be quite tedious, so we
> try to find out whether game based approaches can be used to make that task
> much more interesting. We developed the VeriLinks game prototype and ask
> for your help to judge how well the the validation works by playing the
> game and answering a few questions in a survey:
>
> Game: http://verilinks.aksw.org
> Survey: http://surveys.aksw.org/**survey/verilinks<http://surveys.aksw.org/survey/verilinks>
>
> The survey itself takes only 5 minutes to complete. In addition to having
> the chance to play a game at work ;), there are also great prizes to win.
> 10 randomly selected participants will receive Amazon vouchers:
>
> 1st prize: 200 Euro
> 2nd prize: 100 Euro
> 3rd prize: 50 Euro
> 4th - 10th prize: 25 Euro
>
> If you want to win a prize, please participate in the survey until this
> *Friday, June 22, 23:59 CET*.

Game feedback.

In general it's a great game.  Nice look.  Nice sounds.  Nice animations.
"Angry peas" style.

Some important things:

1 The idea of doing 2 things at once is never going to be popular in
games.

This talk goes into the reason behind it (
http://fora.tv/2010/07/27/Jesse_Schell_Visions_of_the_Gamepocalypse )

2 The tutorial didnt really explain what the game was about, I had to play
it a few times to work out how to play.  Game designers have 3 goals:

- Interest your users for 15 seconds
- Interest your users for 15 minutes
- Interest your users for 15 hours

The first step needs some where here.

3 For a game to be popular / viral, it needs to be 'social'.  What this
means is use social linked data.  Facebook is quite good at this, but the
linked data cloud can take this further an order of magnitude.  As I
mentioned before you need to also tie your achievements to your login
profile, otherwise it's just another silo.

Some links:
How to be an indie game developer:
http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2012/06/12/how-to-be-an-indie-game-developer/
Post on the mechanics of social games:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/01/the-new-games
-people-play-game-mechanics-in-the-age-of-social

In general : making good games is HARD, but can be hugely rewarding.
Linked data is uniquely placed to make games at web scale.  The first
people to crack this are on to something very big.  But you have to try and
capture modern social mechanics.  A great can take linked data to the next
level, and virally bootstrap web 2.0 if done right.  This effort was a
really good try, lots of the hard parts are done, but still some ways to go.