Re: [Ann] LODStats - Real-time Data Web Statistics

Hi.
On 21 Jun 2012, at 11:40, Sören Auer wrote:

> Am 21.06.2012 12:03, schrieb Hugh Glaser:
>> Interesting question from Denny.
>> I guess you don't do http://thedatahub.org/dataset/sameas-org
>> for the same reason.
>> And
>> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/dbpedia-lite
>> (Or at least I couldn't find them.)
>>
>> I'm not sure you should claim "all LOD datasets registered on CKAN"
>
> Depends on the definition of dataset - for me a dataset is something
> available in bulk and not a pointer to a large space of URLs containing
> some data fragments requiring extensive crawling.
I can't agree with this.
To rule out Linked Data that only provides Linked Data without SPARQL or dump and say it is not a "LOD Dataset" seems to be terribly restrictive.
For example, the eprints (eprints.org) Open Archives have upwards of 100M triples of pretty interesting (to some people) Linked Data.
It is mostly not in thedatahub, but even if it was you would ignore it.
In fact, anything that is a wrapper around things like dbpedia, twitter, Facebook, or even Facebook itself is ignored, I am assuming from what you say.
To publish statistics that claims to collect "statistics from all LOD datasets" using a method that ignores such resources is to seriously underreport the LOD activity (not a Good Thing), and also is to publish what I can only say is misleading statistical reports about LOD in general.
I leave aside that you also fail to collect statistics from more than half of the datasets you claim to be collecting.

I realise it may be hard to do anything different, but the badging really is a problem.
If people are to use your numbers then they should be told very clearly how they are derived.
If you want to use your definition of a dataset, then you should make it very clear in the web pages the criteria you are using.

Best
Hugh

--
Hugh Glaser,