Re: Why do we name nodes and not edges?

Well I have to say that all this enthusiasm for Named Graphs amazes me.
This is of course primarily because I come from Linked Data, and since RDF does not include the name of the graph in its representations, or even in the model (as far as I can see), it is just plain wrong to look to Named Graphs as a major way of doing anything.
At great effort people define a beautiful Framework (RDF), but then say that to do all these different things you need some external stuff.
That would mean the Framework was wrong, and it is not clear to me that it is.

With respect to naming triples, at first sight it seems to me there is a perfectly sensible way of doing it, as I described in an earlier message.
There is no need to describe a language for encoding the whole triple - a unique URI for the edge uniquely identifies the triple, and seems quite natural.
This URI can then be subPropertyOf whatever it would have been in the general form.
So we have gained identifiers for triples for the possible maximum cost of one extra subPropertyOf triple for each triple to be identified.
And now RDF can be used to make statements about each triple (edge), and I can do it all in Linked Data.

This doesn't immediately solve the same thing as Named Graphs, where groups of triples/edges needed to be identified.
But can't the edges be gathered into Classes?
And with multiple inheritance, you can have arbitrary membership of Classes by any edge, giving much more power than simple Named Graphs, where triples/edges can only be members of one graph?

As Steve says, naming edges is about convention, and would look weird to some people.
But I find referring to an Oracle (the Named Graph) even weirder - if something doesn't come back in RDF on URI resolution, then for most of my apps I can't get to know about it.
Don't it in RDF requires no change at all in the technology - SCBD includes whatever you need.

Is there anything technically wrong with what I am describing?

Best
Hugh